I went out to dinner with an RL friend the other night. Some years ago I introduced her to Second Life. At first she thought it was weird and strange, but over time she has spent more and more time in world until now it is a regular part of her daily routine. The conversation turned to the unexpected ways SL has influenced our RL.
Our only partly tongue-in-cheek list included:
- You start seeing RL people as avatars.
- You try to camera around a web page.
- You find yourself converting RL prices to L$.
- You try to double-click teleport out to the mailbox.
- You mentally click on someone’s dress to inspect it.
- You use chat abbreviations in normal conversation ( RL, SL, brb, afk, etc.)
- Everyone else at the table thinks you are talking in tongues.
- The jewelry is not in your jewelry case, it is in SL.
How about you?